Necessary Skills and Knowledge:
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. Coast Guard regulations, seamanship, and maritime safety procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the operating characteristics of marine machinery, equipment and systems, their functional relationships, installation and repair procedures, methods and trade practices, and the unique environmental conditions under which work is performed aboard marine craft.
- Excellent navigational and ship handling skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and organizational skills.
- Skill in ship handling, navigation methods and techniques, and the operation of marine navigational computer software, marine radar, depth sounder and chart plotter equipment.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to supervise effectively, builds teamwork, and maintains crew morale.
- Ability to maintain or direct the maintenance of the vessel, engines and auxiliary equipment in a well-organized and clear condition.
- Ability to prepare clear and complete logs/reports/records, communicate effectively and carryout and deliver oral and written instructions; use personal computer.
- Ability to work varied shift hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to overnight at the mine during when weather conditions are too rough to operate.
- Ability to work directly with the public, providing information and assistance on a daily basis.
- Ability to meet time and attendance requirements.
- Ability to handle stress under pressure.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Ability to identify problems and recommend resolutions.
- Ability to perform strenuous work and ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- U.S. Coast Guard 100-ton Master’s License.
- Five (5) years of Captain or First Mate experience in a vessel rated 50 tons or more, with operational experience both day and night in Southeast Alaska waters.
- Current CPR and first aid certificates.
- Current Driver’s License and an acceptable driving record.
- Ability to successfully pass drug testing and background check
- Mechanical skills and understanding of marine maintenance practices.
- Exposure to and familiarity with all aspects of passenger transportation.
Pay and Benefits
At Goldbelt, we value and reward our team's dedication and hard work. We provide a competitive base salary commensurate with your qualifications and experience. As an employee, you'll enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with company matching, tax-deferred savings options, supplementary benefits, paid time off, and professional development opportunities.